Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Am I the only one?

iPad's, Androids, lack of Flash, tied to a proprietary environment.

Right now I feel like I'm the only one in the world that doesn't want anything to do with a phone running Android, and the only one who refuses to own an iPod Touch, iPhone, or and iPad.

Let's look at the reasons:

1. Android, though open source, is developed by the biggest advertisement dealer in the world, and I hate adverts.
2. Android is tied to Google, from what I've seen in a Chrome (OS) beta environment was all my data, my viewing habits, etc... going back to Mountain View, and I like my privacy
3. The iPod Touch, the iPhone, and the iPad are all tied to iTune's, which is great for organising music and movies, but horrible for user interface design, ease of use, and it's tied to the iTunes Store.
4. None of those mentioned in #3 can play Flash, which is roughly 75% of the content online. So if I want to play a remake of a game via one of the thousands of flash game sites, I can't. I have to instead go to the iTunes store and buy it for $0.99 or more, just for something that's free online.
5. Free apps, one of the greatest things in the world, no money, free to install, and can be found anywhere on the net. Unless you jailbreak your iPod/phone/pad (which kills your warranty) you're restricted to iTunes for the multitude of free stuff, even though there's even better apps available elsewhere.

I'm liking the look of the new tablets coming out by other manufactures, most have keyboards, multitouch screens, large capacity drives, and the ability to accommodate a multitude of peripherals natively, without paying extra for unlike the iPad.

OK, the iSeries stuff looks great, easy UI, etc. But people need more, to be able to do more. Most people I see on the bus or train in the morning that would use a tablet form system aren't just consumers, their users, ones that are reading that XYZ document in some format, while editing it, reading the latest headlines online, and listening to their music, all at the same time. From what I understand, with the iStuff, this isn't possible, as it doesn't allow mutlitasking.

At the end of the day I will be sacrificing battery life for functionality.

Android? Well let's put it this way, I prefer to not have all my eggs in one basket, nor do I want my habits being used to send target ads to me in my browser.

Feel free to flame/agree/whatever (or send me goodies to try and change my mind)

No comments:

Post a Comment